Thursday, July 30, 2009

Jahan Numa


Jama Masjid in entirity, the way it is!!! And from the description of my previous photograph one can only imagine my veneration for this place.
Jahan Numa or Masjid-i-Jahan Numa (persian for 'World reflecting Mosque') or what we all commonly know as Jama Masjid is the largest mosque in India. It was built in 1656 A.D. at a cost of around 10 million rupees then, commissioning around 5000 workers daily. The mosque rests at a high platform and can be reached by three different gates of which the east gateway is the largest. Crowned with three onion shaped domes the centre portion of the dome is around 201 ft. high and is flanked by 2 minarets each 130 ft. high. There is a marble tank right in the centre of the mosque where all can wash hands before offering the namaaz at the Masjid. Around 22,000 people can offer namaaz at a time at the Masjid. And quite honestly, its heavily crowded duirng Eid or for that matter even on all fridays.
To speak something about the photograph, personally I have an entire album of 38 photos of the Masjid but for this one particularly I had to wait for almost around 40 minutes to get this view. A lot of it because I was quite adamant in taking the photo of the pigoen flying from the dome and everytime I tried to click it the bird would deceive me until finally, when I was successful in clicking this one. purely luck!!!